Sunday, May 5, 2013

#76- Laissez-faire or Promote?


Christianity is the world's largest religion. In order to get that prize all the different denominations had to be counted. Islam is the second most populous religion. It is scheduled to become number 1 in about 100 years or so. Judaism, the religion that Christianity and Islam are derived from, accounts for just 0.22% of the world. It is estimated that about 2% of the world are atheists.

I've been wondering if promoting atheism is a good thing. Christianity became the top religion because of various reasons and most of them are disgusting. Islam is not saint either. Of course, both Christians and Muslims will give you mostly romantic versions of their history. Atheism seems to be the result of having information and the guts to follow the evidence.

While there are various groups and organizations, I don't think it can be said that there is an organized desire or vehicle that exists to evangelize the world to become atheist. I think we will lag behind the polls as long as religions such as Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses continue with their overtly aggressive conversion and promotion programs.

My personal feelings about it are mixed. Religions don't seem to do as well in some sectors on the internet. People are a lot more vocal on YouTube and Facebook about their lack of religion from what I've seen.

I personally try to avoid any sort of commonalities with religion. But my situation is a bit unique because I am trying to offer what may be a new "product" to a specific demographic: Haitians.

This has been a very slow and time consuming project for me. I cannot get away from the fact that this blog a tool for advertising my story. It has been a therapeutic and a way for me to provide inspiration to someone somewhere.

Even though I think that it is import to have the voice of the secular community heard I am not willing to bother people for it. I want to be hopeful that the world will be a friendlier place for us secular/humanist types but how can that happen if we are quiet and afraid?

I know I have a steep mountain to climb with the Haitian community. I am walking a delicate balance between a "laissez-faire" approach and active promotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment