Monday, October 3, 2011

#33- South Florida Church of Christ

My best friend's older brother Steve met some folks and started going to their church.  That was no big deal with me because their local church was beyond boring.  I've visited St. Paul Episcopal, their home church, and it was beyond boring so I understood why he would want to test some different waters.

He ended up converting to the religion of the church he was attending and that caused a big commotion.  For some reason Steve's church became a hot topic on the streets.  The church's name was South Florida Church of Christ and it was building massive momentum.  It seemed like everybody knew somebody that knew somebody who attended that church.  They started calling it a cult because it was growing fast and taking other church's members.

Yahweh Ben Yahweh
Steve became very conservative.  We found him to be too prudish and altered our conversations to make him feel more comfortable.  Eventually he dealt exclusively with members of his own denomination.  His mother was not happy with the radical change in his behavior.  She even tore a Bible of his and left it in the bathroom sink.

I wondered what could have made her so upset?  I know that he became more holy but I thought that was supposed to be a good thing.  What intrigued me was this accusation of him being in a "cult".

In my mind cults were spooky clubs where white people in damp dungeons to do all sorts of weird things.  Steve didn't match that stereotype.  I wanted to see what the hype was but I was also scared that I might get sucked into a situation that I couldn't get out of.  I was afraid of the very thought of being accused of visiting a cult much less being in one.

Jim Jones



David Koresh


Eventually I asked to go to church with Steve and he accepted.  I was greatly impressed by the size and organization of the church.  I found nothing out the ordinary except that males and females were separated.  When people met me they hugged me while making sure that our genital area was well separated.  People seem to know that I was new and were constantly asking me if I wanted to study the Bible with them.  I didn't like the pressure so I said "no".  Steve stayed with the group and the family just had to accept his wish.

This was the first time that I saw what religion can do to a family up close and personal.

3 comments:

  1. the question i should ask the author is.. what is a cult?
    you can answer that question via email realchucknorris305 gmail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time I was living this reality, Marco, the word "CULT" was used to describe a group of weirdos who did strange, sacrilegious things from the mainstream. Later on I looked up the word via DICTIONARY.COM:

      cult   [kuhlt] Show IPA
      noun
      1.
      a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
      2.
      an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
      3.
      the object of such devotion.
      4.
      a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
      5.
      Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.


      I subscribe to the 5 definitions above now. Thanks for reading, Marco.

      Delete
    2. you are welcome! I always ask questions before i say or express my thoughts on a subject. Basically from what i experienced with SFCOC it is not a cult. Back then they were very strict on things due to the fact that the Word of God is not something to take lightly.having said that, They have made many mistakes and they got rebuked by the Word. Moving foward,we learned that the Word has to be our standards not feelings. My second is the following...
      What do you consider wrost .. the act homosexuality or an unmarried man having sex with another woman?

      Delete