Monday, September 26, 2011

#13- Middle School Muslim 4

Noble Drew Ali

Christianity was spread by violence and treachery when it came to my people the Haitians so I wanted no parts of it.  Malcolm stood up to "The Man" and told him to his face that the image of Jesus as a white man was fubar.  There was an underground movement of Muslim activity that I wanted to be part of.  If Islam was good enough for El Hajj Malik El Shabazz then it was good enough for a young "god" like me.

Wu Tang Clan
Wu Tang Clan were just getting started.  Busta Rhymes, A Tribe Called Quest, and others were kicking vicious vernacular my way.  They used words like "kid", "god", "Earth", "cypher", etc. that had my mind spinning.  I hungered for this new funky esoteric super Black knowledge.  It turns out that a lot of people from New York were influenced by some for of teaching by the schools of Noble Drew Ali and the Moorish Temple Science.  Of course I didn't know that at the time but it was very appealing since I couldn't rebuke Luigi's cool knowledge and facts.

Middle school is also when I learned that Haitians had options in the religion market besides Christianity and Voodoo (the proper term is Vodou).  I met my first Jew in elementary school and he seemed cool.  So I was developing a new awareness of the diversity of thought all around me that was never thought to me by my parents and other influential outlets.


Decision Time
Noble Drew Ali in the middle of some Moors

I remember not being the only one who was considering converting or following or learning this Black religion.  A girl named Sandrine considered converting.  That was important because there was a rumor that Islam was harsh on the ladies and I was a latent feminist.  Islam spread to all different parts of the world including to North Africa.  Word on the streets was that they did it through violence.  I was unable to confirm or deny these allegations but the combination of female subjugation and proliferation via violence kept me from exploring further.

No comments:

Post a Comment