Friday, September 30, 2011

#21- Conversion Story

I still have that tract in my shoe box of memories
I repelled Pastor George's appeal to accept Jesus as my lord and savior because I needed time to think about it.  Time went on and it weighed on my mind.  I knew it was not something to be taken lightly.  I already believed in the god that my uncle told me about.  I had never prayed to him before but since he was omniscient and I was a really good person I figured it was all good.

Different things had happened in my life at that time and other things were beginning to happen.  At this point I was sexually active and I knew that sex was a dangerous endeavor.  I wanted to wait for the right girl but that was impossible with my body demanding pussy.  All in all I did feel bad enough about having sex and considered God in the mix.

I started considering the pros and cons of being a Christian.  I didn't want to be a Christian because Black people were only Christians because of the colonizers who influenced them.  But I slowly forgot about that and Jesus had gotten a face-lift.  I started to see Jesus as a sympathetic and pacifistic figure who wanted your best interest in life.

Somehow I got a hold of some Jack Chick tracts and started to read them.  I read them in my room and I was captivated by the one called "This Was Your Life".  At that time I decided to accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior.  I did it then because I felt that I didn't do it in a pressured way and it was of my own free will.  I figured that it couldn't hurt and said the magic words...

"Dear God, I am a sinner and need forgiveness. I believe that Jesus Christ shed His precious blood and died for my sin. I am willing to turn from sin. I now invite Christ to come into my heart and life as my personal Savior."


Nothing special happened.  No angels.  No visions.  No fireworks.  I did have a sense of accomplishment however.  I could now call myself a "Christian".
Jack Chick (according to Google)


No comments:

Post a Comment